It is coming to nearly 2 years since I started working as a programmer. My gosh time has flown by, yet I can still say Its the best decision I’ve ever made. BUT that wasn’t always the case. I remember waking up daily thinking ‘Why do I have to go back there..?’ But I refused to give up.. and well 2 years later – I’m still here and my frown has been turned upside down. Wanna know how I became this excited career-loving nerd?
Here are my top 5 survival tips to starting a new job..
1. Be yourself – Don’t walk into a workplace and immediately be part of the furniture. It’s ok to be different. cute and sassy.. and a bit bad-assy!
2. Voice your opinion – Don’t be scared speak your mind, honesty is the best policy and colleagues may even appreciate it.
3. Make friends – Speak to every person you make eye/nose/ear contact with. Even if it’s just a ‘Good Morning’ make them known of your presence and that you’re approachable.
4. Work hard, play harder – In the words of Kendrick be humble.
5. Smile – Till your face hurts, you chose that career so smile and make your Monday’s a day to look forward to. If you hate Monday’s.. you’re in the wrong job.
We all know that starting a new job is daunting but let yourself settle in. It’s like moving house- when you’ve made it home..it’s comfortable. So before you go deciding you’re quitting cause times are difficult or you hate it or you have no friends, stop and think. If we stopped when things got hard, we’d never see progress. And sometimes uncomfortable situations lead to better opportunities. Now we’re into a new year, what’s stopping you?!
Take the plunge.. I dare you 🏊♂️
Ciao for now 2017, Hello 2018! S x